Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Confused About Google's Index, Url Dampening, & No. of Links?
06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Big Grin Confused About Google's Index, Url Dampening, & No. of Links?
I recently received still another 'please help' e-mail from the gentleman called Ian who runs an adventure company in Tanzania (http://www.betheladventure.co.uk ). Ian was concerned with the result of a number of problems including indexing and url dampening, and was desperate for help. Unfortunately, he had read some pretty misleading articles in the past, so he had a somewhat mixed-up comprehension of the facets at play. I decided to submit the facts of our conversation, since I believe he is perhaps not alone in his concern and confusion.

Ian's mail consisted of many issues. I have shown each separately below, followed by my response.

Q: When I seek out how many backlinks to my site using 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', I see only 23 results. It seems that only 23 of our backlinks have survived Google's dampening link filter. Is there an occasion delay before they're attributed to a site? '

A: Firstly, I believe you could have the dampening link filter a little confused. According to the dampening link filter concept, your links are located and acknowledged by Google, you just do not obtain the full advantage from them until a given time frame has elapsed. The dampening link filter (if it exists) doesn't stop links from appearing in Google's benefits when you look for them. (The only reason your backlinks mightn't appear in a Google search is if Google hasn't yet found the pages containing the links.) Also, do not worry too much about things such as the dampening link filter. In the first place, it's far from proven / accepted fact. Several well-regarded Search Engine Optimisation authorities don't rely on it at all. Visiting linklicious.me discount certainly provides suggestions you could tell your mom. Moreover, even when it does exist, it only affects those companies with all the budget to generate the large numbers (hundreds or thousands probably) of links reputedly required to induce it. That's no problem, if your quantity of backlinks suddenly increases by 2-0.

And subsequently, do not believe anything Google lets you know. By looking for 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', you usually only visit a small proportion of real links to your site. The easiest way to search for links will be to search for just the URL 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk', then to the page that shows next, select 'Find web pages that contain the definition of 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk' .' If you do it in this way, you'll see most of the pages that contain your URL. In most cases, the URL will soon be an energetic link (or at the least it should be, and you should keep these things make it so). Browse here at the link jump button to research why to acknowledge this view. Whenever you do this research, you'll note that your site has about 169 links, not 2-3.

Q: Yet another question is about indexed pages (using site:www.betheladventure.co.uk). To compare additional information, people might claim to check out: Photoshop CS2 Lessons For Novices 37030. I am aware it is a report of pages which were changed. I'd 32, it went down to 28 and it's down to 26 now this morning. Do they only keep the pages for monthly or can there be more to the pages than I realized?

A: The number of indexed pages is just the number of pages on your site that Google 'knows about.' Theoretically, the only time the age of a page is necessary is if the page is too young*, i.e. Google lions have not visited it nevertheless, or Google hasn't updated its catalog. As to the reasons the number of indexed pages is reducing, I suppose it is merely a temporary shift. How many results in Google's searches differs just about constantly. For fresh information, consider peeping at: Entertainment Promotion Guide Register 15186.

*Actually, formally speaking, it's been suggested that Google is not capable of indexing all 11.5 billion pages currently thought to be on line (and the 10 million more that are added everyday), and that as it indexes new pages, old pages are pushed out of the index. (This is a really rough description of the idea - if it's happening at all, it's likely to be much more complicated than this.) If this is happening, it might explain why the reported number of indexed pages is reducing. While I think it's a long-shot, a good way to take care of it's to maintain high quality information, to keep generating backlinks, to keep increasing it, and to generate a Google sitemap. To find out more about sitemaps, visit http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login.. To obtain a free - and invaluable - tool for producing a sitemap, head to http://johannesmueller.com/gs/..

I know there's plenty of confusion surrounding these dilemmas, so I hope you have found this exchange valuable.

Happy indexing!.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply